You're bound to work up an appetite exploring all the Adirondack Coast's exciting history, outdoor recreation and agritourism experiences. But the adventure doesn't have to end when you leave the farm or park your bike. The very best of our agriculture can be experienced through local dishes -- without breaking the bank. Keep reading to learn about some of the best #ADKCoastEats under $15.
1. “Stoner” Wings from Monopole Bar, 10 for $9.00 or 12 for $9.75 (+ tax)7 Protection Ave, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
One taste of these bad boys, and there’s no going back to simple barbeque or buffalo. Ask around Monopole, and no one can tell you exactly what’s in the “Stoner Sauce” smothered on these decadent chicken wings, but once you try them, you pretty much lose the will to care. One thing’s for certain: during the weekly “Wednesday Wing Nights” special, crowds young and old flock into the bar to snatch these wings up for $.65 each.
2. A Red Hot from McSweeney’s Red Hots, $1.95 (+ tax)600 State Route 3, Plattsburgh, NY 12901 // 7067 State Route 9, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Pull into the parking lot of any McSweeney’s car hop spot on the Adirondack Coast, and a server will come running out to your car. If you order a Red Hot for just $1.95, they’ll ask, “With, without, or buried?” If it’s your first time trying this Adirondack Coast delicacy, you might not know how to respond. Insider tip: they’re talking about onions. If you’re a local, you’ve grown up knowing that preferred onion placement can make or break a Michigan hot dog – no matter how good the secret meat sauce is.
3. Cinnamon sugar apple cider doughnuts from Rulfs Orchard, 12 for $6, 6 for $3.50, or $.70 each (+ tax)531 Bear Swamp Road, Peru, NY 12972
Rulfs’ famous apple cider doughnuts are a staple among Adirondack Coast visitors during autumn months – but you can purchase them year-round when you stop by the orchard’s bakery, where delicious smelling treats are made fresh daily from seasonal local ingredients!
4. A “Cupcake of the Day” from Delish by Irises, $2.49 each24 City Hall Pl, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Each week, bakers at Delish create masterfully elaborate and unique cupcakes in both large and mini sizes. From “Margarita” made with actual tequila to “Take 5” topped with pretzels, the options are pretty much endless. And you don’t have to try just one! Order a dozen minis for $13.49 and satisfy your sweet tooth!
5. Romeo Pizza from Pasquale’s, $14.95 (+ tax) for a small pizza2931 Main Street Route 22, Peru, NY 12972
In the last 8 years, the Romeo Pizza at Pasquale's has become an Adirondack Coast staple. Sure, the crispy chicken, ranch dressing, and red onions are tasty on top of their typical pizza ingredients -- but it's the special Romeo sauce that really makes this one of our top #ADKCoastEats.
6. Champ Club from Lakeside Coffee, $8.65 (+ tax)109 Lake St, Rouses Point, NY 12979
Lakeside Coffee, although known for (you guessed it!) their delicious coffee drinks, they also offer a half-sandwich with soup special throughout the week. The yummy Champ Club, pictured below, is their most popular, made with turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo. House-made soup flavors change regularly as well, with recent favorites like beef barley, ham chowder, cheeseburger and roasted red pepper.
7. The New Yorker breakfast sandwich from Bagel Pit, $7.55 (+ tax)50 Margaret St, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Bagel Pit staff call this “the bagel that never sleeps”. With fresh lox, tomato, red onions, capers, and plain cream cheese on your choice of house-made bagel, it’s easy to see how you could wolf this breakfast sandwich down in a New York minute.
8. A Zuke's Special from Zuke’s Deli, $8.49 (+ tax)113 Brinkerhoff St, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Beloved by visitors and locals, the Zuke’s Special combines imported Swiss cheese melted over turkey breast, boiled ham, and coleslaw, all drizzled with Russian dressing on your choice of the deli’s freshly baked white or multi-grain French baguette. Don’t forget to grab a bag of chips on your way out – they’re included!
9. Any of the 7 Deadly Burgers from Livingood’s Restaurant & Brewery, $14 (+ tax)697 Bear Swamp Rd, Peru, NY 12972
Well, any of the 7 Deadly Burgers except one. But hey, if you’re gonna call a burger “Gluttony” it makes sense it would be twice as big as the rest ($19 + tax). Each of these burgers begins with a ½ pound of Kilcoyne Farms black angus beef and evolves into its own masterpiece with flavorful local toppings and ingredients. From spicy Wrath to complex Envy, at least one of these burgers is bound to tempt your taste buds.
10. Mac-n-cheese from Olive Ridley’s Taphouse & Grill, $12 (+ tax)37 Court St, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Don’t miss out on this cavatappi pasta slathered with a house-made three-cheese herb sauce and baked with a panko crust. Served up hot in a skillet, it’s great for sharing or eating on your own. No judgement if you don’t leave with leftovers!
11. The “Fat Boy Burrito” from Lomeli’s, $8 (+ tax)20 Plattsburgh Plaza, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Lomeli’s in uptown Plattsburgh has quickly become a go-to Mexican takeout hot spot. Their Fat Boy Burrito is loaded with the tastiest essentials: rice, beans, cheese, cilantro and onions. Feeling frisky? Add asada or chicken for an extra $2.
12. Butcher Block’s lunch salad bar, $7.95 (+ tax)15 Booth Dr, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Soup, salad, bread – oh my! From potato and pasta to the more traditional spring mix, there’s plenty of variety to choose from when cruising through Butcher Block’s salad bar. While it’s included with most of the restaurants entrees, head on over during lunch and you can enjoy it as a meal for just $7.95 per person.
13. Chicken tenders with poutine from Sandy’s Deli, $12.42 (+ tax)133 Lake St, Rouses Point, NY 12979
What’s the most popular à la carte pairing at Sandy’s Deli in Rouses Point? Chicken tenders with the side of fries upgraded to poutine. For those of you who don’t know, this Canadian delicacy originating in Quebec (not too far from the Adirondack Coast!) consists of hot fries slathered in gravy sprinkled with fresh cheese curds. YUM!
14. Gus’ Famous Omelet from (you guessed it) Gus’, $9.955 Commodore Thomas MacDonough Hwy, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
What do you get when you whip up 3 eggs, some of the Adirondack Coast's most popular Michigan sauce, cheese, and a sprinking of onions? Gus' Famous Omelette! They'll even toss in a hot dog for you hardcore Michigan fans out there.
15. Arnie’s pizza, $9.95 for a large20 Margaret St, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
If it’s an authentic Italian restaurant experience you’re after, Arnie’s in Plattsburgh is your best bet. Visitors and locals have been raving about this family-style restaurant since it opened downtown in 1951 with recipes Arnie’s mother brought over from Italy. What on the menu should you absolutely try? The pizza.
Find more Adirondack Coast dining options here.