In 1852, the federal government purchased 10.4 acres on the New York shore of Lake Champlain near Point Au Roche for $440 to serve as the site for a lighthouse. It wasn’t activated until the opening of navigation in 1859. A temporary beacon light was exhibited from Point au Roche from 1856 until the lighthouse commenced operation.
Point au Roche Lighthouse consisted of an octagonal blue limestone tower connected to a wooden cottage, and like its sister lights, had trapezoidal panes in its lantern room. A sixth-order Fresnel lens was used to produce a fixed white light that could be seen for thirteen miles, from its focal plane of fifty-four feet above the surface of the lake.
The tower itself is owned by the Coast Guard, while the dwelling and surrounding property are privately owned. Grounds, dwelling and tower are all closed to the public.