Placed in service in 1874, the Bluff Point Lighthouse - also known as the Valcour Island Light - was one of the last lighthouses to be manned on the lake. It guided ships through the narrow passageway between the island and the New York shore for almost 60 years. Its fifth-order Fresnel lens was seen each evening from 1874 until 1930 when a steel tower was erected just south of the structure. In 2004 the lighthouse was reactivated when the light was removed from the steel tower and re-installed in the lighthouse.
The lighthouse is owned by New York State Parks and managed by Clinton County Historical Association. Grounds are open, dwelling and tower are open to the public in season.