406 State Route 3, Plattsburgh, NY 12901(518) 561-5000
In 1837, Congress made $5,000 available for the construction of a lighthouse at “Split Rock Point”. Lake Champlain’s second lighthouse, it cast its beam for the first time in 1838, shortly after Cumberland Head Lighthouse, using eleven lamps and fourteen-inch reflectors. The stone tower was originally thirty feet tall, but on the bluff it had a focal plane of 110 feet above Lake Champlain.
The original tower was replaced in 1867 by a thirty-nine-foot, octagonal tower constructed of blue limestone extracted from a quarry on nearby Willsboro Point. A storeroom was built at the base of the new tower, and a wooden passageway was constructed to connect the tower to the dwelling, which was thoroughly repaired and repainted.
The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds, dwelling and tower are closed to the public.